2019 Sauvignon Blanc
Fruit and floral notes burst on the palate with a lively acidity that is balanced by rich structure.
Our Bell Mountain Ranch stretches from Alexander Valley in the north to Russian River Valley in the south and borders the famous Chalk Hill. This unique site location, with less than 20% planted to vines, affords us a multitude of microclimates and well-drained, gravelly-clay soil with a compacted layer of volcanic ash underneath to grow our grapes. There is a strong sense of place and personality in our estate wines…something that we pride ourselves on.
Most of our Sauvignon Blanc is planted at a higher elevation on the flattest portion of our property allowing for ample sunshine throughout the growing season. The grapes ripen fully and present a density of flavors that comes through in the wine. Our 2019 Sauvignon Blanc offers up aromas of ripe pear and grapefruit lifted by notes of anise, confectioner’s sugar, and exotic flowers. These fruit and floral notes burst forth on the palate with a lively acidity that is balanced by a rich, almost structural quality. Flavors co-mingle and ultimately resolve into a long creamy finish.
After harvesting the grapes and bringing them into the winery, we macerate the grapes overnight instead of going direct-to-press. This brief skin contact extracts just enough structural elements to the finished wine and allows us to intensify the unique varietal character of Sauvignon Blanc.
2019 offered nearly ideal growing conditions: a warm spring with some later rainfall set us up for good early season growth which was followed by a moderately warm summer that lasted well into October without any severe temperatures of untimely rainfall. These conditions allowed for a classic vintage.
Price$32.00 ($32.00 / bottle)
Medlock Ames Winery was formed in 1998 by college best friends, Chris Medlock James and Ames Morison, who set out to produce award-winning wines from Bell Mountain Ranch.
After their school days, Ames and Chris continued as roommates where they would often share bottles of wine at their apartment in New York City. One night after a little too much wine, a seed of an idea was planted to produce the kind of elegant Bordeaux wines they were drinking but from California grapes. They packed up, moved to California, and began searching for the ideal property.
After looking at over 100 different properties, Chris and Ames drove the windy private lane off of Chalk Hill Road where Bell Mountain towered over a few dozen acres of neglected Merlot vines. The beauty of Bell Mountain and the surrounding land spoke to them and Medlock Ames was born. That was 1998 and the deep commitment to preserving Bell Mountain and being a vocal supporter for the kind of light-touch farming practices that being organic means was part of our values ever since. Today, these friends remain singularly focused on quality through mindful and organic farming along with a light touch in the cellar.
Since our beginnings almost 20 years ago, everything we do at Medlock Ames is driven by our values. This is core to who we are and is what drives us each day. In the spirit of full transparency, we share our values statement. We are open, honest, authentic with each other and with our members and guests. From our organic farming practices since day one to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment we are fully committed to our values.
- Preservation of the land is at the heart of all we do and is a guiding light not only in our farming but in how we support our community and how we make decisions to ensure our choices have the most positive impact on the world we live in
- Integrity and respect for all of our employees, all of our customers and anyone else we interact with in our community
- Continuous learning and improvement of ourselves and our organization, supporting each other in this endeavor with productive feedback while always having each other’s back
- Maintaining the highest standards in our work and for our environment, and especially in the level of hospitality we provide Teamwork in the vineyards, the winery, our hospitality centers and with our community overall
- Dedicated to creating an environment that is inclusive of all with a commitment to diversity that welcomes and respects our employees while representing our community