Medlock Ames | StoryWinelight
Medlock Ames Winery was formed in 1998 by college best friends, Chris Medlock James and Ames Morison, who set out to produce award-winning wines from Bell Mountain Ranch.
After their school days, Ames and Chris continued as roommates where they would often share bottles of wine at their apartment in New York City. One night after a little too much wine, a seed of an idea was planted to produce the kind of elegant Bordeaux wines they were drinking but from California grapes. They packed up, moved to California, and began searching for the ideal property.
After looking at over 100 different properties, Chris and Ames drove the windy private lane off of Chalk Hill Road where Bell Mountain towered over a few dozen acres of neglected Merlot vines. The beauty of Bell Mountain and the surrounding land spoke to them and Medlock Ames was born. That was 1998 and the deep commitment to preserving Bell Mountain and being a vocal supporter for the kind of light-touch farming practices that being organic means was part of our values ever since. Today, these friends remain singularly focused on quality through mindful and organic farming along with a light touch in the cellar.
Since our beginnings almost 20 years ago, everything we do at Medlock Ames is driven by our values. This is core to who we are and is what drives us each day. In the spirit of full transparency, we share our values statement. We are open, honest, authentic with each other and with our members and guests. From our organic farming practices since day one to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment we are fully committed to our values.
- Preservation of the land is at the heart of all we do and is a guiding light not only in our farming but in how we support our community and how we make decisions to ensure our choices have the most positive impact on the world we live in
- Integrity and respect for all of our employees, all of our customers and anyone else we interact with in our community
- Continuous learning and improvement of ourselves and our organization, supporting each other in this endeavor with productive feedback while always having each other’s back
- Maintaining the highest standards in our work and for our environment, and especially in the level of hospitality we provide Teamwork in the vineyards, the winery, our hospitality centers and with our community overall
- Dedicated to creating an environment that is inclusive of all with a commitment to diversity that welcomes and respects our employees while representing our community
Sustainable practices help reduce the impact of farming, manufacturing, and other industries. To earn this tag, wineries or the vineyards they source from are certified by third party organizations.
Renewable energy comes from resources which are naturally replenished like sunlight, wind, rain, and geothermal heat. Wineries earn this tag by using renewable energy to help power their operations.
We highlight women led businesses on our site because most winery owners and winemakers are men. To earn this tag the winery must be majority women owned or have a female winemaker.
Family owned and operated businesses are an important part of the US economy. To earn this tag, a winery has two or more family members involved, and the majority ownership lies within the family.
Starting your own business is hard, especially in the wine industry where there are so many uncontrolled variables. Wineries earn this tag if the current owners and operators are also the founders.
Medlock Ames | Team
Medlock Ames Shipping Policy:Free shipping on 12+ bottles